Thursday 7 January 2010

broadcast and the focus group - investigate witch cults of the radio age


on my turntable


broadcast and
the focus group
investigate witch cults
of the radio age
warpcd189


image: ©japanese forms


I'm not too keen on the "best of..." lists that nearly every magazine prints at the end of each year -what one likes or dislikes is all very subjective so I never really bother about choosing a personal top ten, or twenty, or whatever. However, in my opinion, I'll go along with The Wire* in stating that this is one of the best albums released in 2009. Released a couple of months ago, I didn't pick up my copy until recently as the the local (shitty, chain) stores didn't have any copies in stock when I happened to drop in on any my rare visits to them. Thankfully Amazon, and the internet in general, exists. Anyhow, this 50-minute, 23-track album is really something special; probably the best ever by Broadcast. Of course, the selection of extra-special, added sound ingredients, by Ghost Box and The Focus Group mainman Julian House, enhance this recording immensely with Trish Keenan's voice making it an essential buy. one2zero

* "It really is quite fabulous… (Broadcast) crowned themselves dark monarchs of hauntology’s expanding kingdom" ALBUM OF THE YEAR – The Wire

Web:
warp/broadcast the focus group ghost box broadcast myspace



No comments: